Re: Winsock blocking hook problems.

From: Mathew Dredge <mdredge_at_wave.co.nz>
Date: 1996/02/09

maw_at_iac.net (Michael A. Wood) wrote:

>My current line of thinking is to use WSASetBlockingHook() function to
>override the default function with one that removes messages from the
>queue. This has been somewhat successfull. For example under Windows 95
>using a 16bit DLL to override the blocking hook, we have resolved the issue
>(at least it apears as though we have). However, under windows 3.11, the
>client will occasionaly go off into never never land and never complete the
>network transaction. BTW, this looks alot like an issue I faced on my last
>project using a Winsock based DLL with PowerBuilder 3.0 connecting to a
>Sybase 4.x RDBMS. In that situation, we did not have the non-blocking issue,
>we simply had what I would call network hangs. We were never able to resolve
>that issue, we simply managed it down to a very small number of occurances,
>and managed the clients expectations as best as possible.

I have tried a blocking hook function in my windows 95 program, it worked as I expected except that the blocked call never finished, are you able to send me an example of your blocking hook function as I have a need to have these hook functions implemented in my multi-threaded winsock app, and I havent managed to make them work. Received on Fri Feb 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message