Re: scalability of OODBMS vs RDBMS?

From: Wolfgang Keller <wk_at_sdm.de>
Date: 1996/02/09

drd (drd_at_superlink.net) wrote:
: is there any info regarding OODBMS vs RDBMS in an OO application with many
: (millions) of records/objects/whatever? i would like to use an OODBMS in
: our application, however, the higher-ups are concerned with the scalability
: (in size and performance) of OODBMS's, and are pushing for an RDBMS.

Hello,

maybe you should investigate the type of application you have first ACID transactions vs. long running ones. This should have influence ob the type of RDB / OODB you're using.

You should then check the oodbs vendors reference lists and look for the kind of applications you build. Using RDBs in an OO-environment is some thing that should be avoided if no coexistence with old applications is necessary.

So let's presume you found a reference project or better some that look like the stuff you're doing. You should then check the references by calling the people who actually did the project and have them talk to you. Don't thrust projects that are not yet in procduction. Most yoghurt will boil up no sooner then at production time.

Hope that helps - if you need more info after some looking around, send me an email

Wolfgang

: any info regarding scalability (size and performance) of RDBMS and OODBMS
: (both in specific products and in general) would be greatly appreciated.

: thanks!

Wolfgang Keller          |s  |d &|m  |  software design & management, Ltd.
Project ARCUS            |   |   |   |  Thomas-Dehler-Str. 27 (division FI)
wolfgang.keller_at_sdm.de   |   |   |   |  81737 Munich, Germany.
                         |   |   |   |  Tel.: 49-89-63812-210
                         |   |   |   |  Fax.: 49-89-63812-490

          receiving the problems from the problems from the people
                          and forwarding them