Re: executing shell scripts from PL/SQL

From: Fernando Luna <fern_at_aa.net>
Date: 1996/02/07

In article <4f1h0f$5mt_at_server.cntfl.com>, aponte_at_destin.gulfnet.com says...

>gigi_at_info.ucl.ac.be (Gianluigi Alari) wrote:
>>
>> I am looking for a simple way of calling a UNIX program/shell script
>> from a PL/SQL block: is there a way?
>>

>The only thingn I know is by using the host command.
>The host command send a command line to the operating system.
>The only problem is you cannot received back a pass/failure of
>your script.

I presume you mean PL/SQL from within a product like Forms... In PL/SQL [database level] unless you've got version 2.3 or better you can't really make direct calls to the operating system like that...

In Forms you can use the Host command and then immediately issue IF NOT Form_Success THEN...
to trap any errors [Realize you can't test for success or failure on programs like ftp...]

Hope that helps... Received on Wed Feb 07 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message