Re: Excel (dataquery) reading Oracle database (VAX)

From: MPower 'your future today' -- Mark Otero <mpower_at_ee.net>
Date: 1996/02/07

searle_at_alpha.itwhy.bhp.com.au (Ian Searle) wrote:

>milapier_at_ge.hydro.qc.ca (Michel Lapierre) wrote:

>>I need to use Excel to get information from tables and views (if
>>possible) with Excel Dataquery. We do have Developer/2000
>>and Sql*net for TCP/IP to access the VAX.

>I have recently used Excel to produce reports that required graphics.

>I used a PLSQL procedure to carry out the complicated SQL bits and
>wrote the results to a temporary table. I then used Excel to draw the
>data from the temporary table. This avoided the necessity of
>persuading Excel to use database procedures, etc.

>I found the best way to write the Excel queries was to develop the
>query witht he macro recorder turned on. I did not save the query in
>the spreadsheet, just preserved the macro. I then doctored the macro
>(ie the Visual BASIC the recorder produced) to allow connection to
>more than one database, different user names and so on.

>I used DDE commands in Oracle forms to fire up Excel. I was not able
>to use DDE commands to pass data from Oracle into Excel directly. I
>found that after starting Excel, Oracle forms would not wait for Excel
>to load a spreadsheet and insisted on sending the DDE stuff into a
>void.

>Hope this is of some use.

> /\/\ : Ian Searle
> / / /\ : Consultant
> / / / \ : BHP Information Technology, Melbourne
>/ / / /\ \ : Level 31, Bourke Place, 600 Bourke St, Melbourne
>\ \/ / / / : Phone +61-3-609-3158
> \ / / / : E-mail (private) searlei_at_werple.mira.net.au
> \/\/\/ : E-mail (business) searle.ian.i_at_bhp.com.au

Hello,

We have code called SQLGlue .90 that will greatly simplify such a task. My company is preparing it for release as shareware. We have been using it since 92' for our own internal and customer projects.

What is it?

  • It is a Windows toolkit.
  • It is a dynamic SQL Method 4 engine.
  • No precompliers, no EXEC SQL, and NO OCI.
  • It allows you execute SQL from ANY Windows application that can CUT/PASTE. Coolest..
  • Multiple desktop applications can send/receive SQL.
  • You can develop killer apps in any language. How? The engine processes string text. So you don't need to do all that SQL crap like ODBC, Embedded SQL, or Object stuff. All you do is build a SQL string and send it to the SQLGlue engine.
  • Enough -- I can get carried away. It has made my life as an Oracle applications developer far easier and very productive. I no longer think SQL API's.

We are putting together the documentation and cleaning up some sample apps -- one sample is an Excel 5.0 Workspace with several sheets. One sheet queries the primary tablespaces and displays a table and chart!

I have built production document-imaging applications with this tool for several Fortune 500's. This first release was designed for transaction environments -- small result sets, although you can still dump an entire db of unlimited size. You just have to pull out your rows in a managable size.

If this is the kind of tool you would like to have. I would be more than happy see you receive it as soon as we release it.

When will that be?
Well, the powers that be have us knee deep in everything from JAVA to Perl and then some. Our last target date was the end of Feb. 96.

I may be able to provide you with an early release, if you need it ASAP.

Mark

                       !!!!!
                      /'_at_ @'\

|   BigDaddy's Internet USENET FaxBack Service    |
|         'never leave home without it'           |
| Mark Otero                        mpower_at_ee.net |
| MPower                        Your Future Today |
| 178 Beechbank Road               (614) 338-1550 |
| Columbus, Ohio 43213-1261    Fax (614) 338-1553 |
                     | |  | |