Re: How do I find a LISTENER port?

From: Dan Bikle <dbikle_at_rahul.net>
Date: 1996/02/05

In <4f1kh6$b90_at_news.doit.wisc.edu> mqader_at_facstaff.wisc.edu (Mirwais Qader) writes:

>In the PRE-INSTALLATION steps of the ICG book; it says
>that before I install the TCP/IP Protocol Adapter (V2),
>I must put the line:

> listener 1521/tcp

>in the file: /etc/services.

>Okay, BUT then it says I must get the listener name by
>looking in the listener.ora and sqlnet.ora files of each
>node.

>How can I do this if I haven't installed yet? OR, are
>these files on the CD-ROM in a Readme like file?
>(I searched, but couldn't find them!)

>Thanks!

Mirwais,

Just pick a number and stick with it corporate wide.

A good choice sometimes is the one for ingres since it is not around much.

On my Sun the entry looks like this:
ingreslock 1524/tcp

The corresponding listener.ora entry would look like this: listener =
  (address_list =

        (address =
          (protocol = tcp)
          (host = leo)
          (port = 1524)
        )

  )
startup_wait_time_listener = 0
connect_timeout_listener = 10
sid_list_listener =
  (sid_list =
    (sid_desc =
      (sid_name = XY)
      (oracle_home=/home/oracle/home)

    )
  )
trace_level_listener = on
trace_directory_listener = /home/oracle/local/trc log_directory_listener = /home/oracle/local/log

Also, I'll bet King Larry would love the thought of an Oracle dbs using a port reserved for ingres.

-Dan

Daniel B. Bikle/Independent Oracle Consultant dbikle_at_alumni.caltech.edu | 415/941-6276 | P.O. BOX 1401 LOS ALTOS CA 94023 http://www.rahul.net/dbikle