Re: How do I find a LISTENER port?

From: Richard Johnson <richj_at_iquest.com>
Date: 1996/02/06

In article <4f1kh6$b90_at_news.doit.wisc.edu>, mqader_at_facstaff.wisc.edu says...

>In the PRE-INSTALLATION steps of the ICG book; it says
>that before I install the TCP/IP Protocol Adapter (V2),
>I must put the line:
>
> listener 1521/tcp
>
>in the file: /etc/services.
>
>Okay, BUT then it says I must get the listener name by
>looking in the listener.ora and sqlnet.ora files of each
>node.
>
>How can I do this if I haven't installed yet? OR, are
>these files on the CD-ROM in a Readme like file?
>(I searched, but couldn't find them!)
>
>Thanks!

You will create listener.ora and sqlnet.ora files only if you are interested in being able to access your database(s) via SQL*Net. There are samples of theses files floating around in the documentation for the install.

As for the services entry... I recommend using your SID name as the port name and using 1521 for the port number (use 1522, 1523 for subsequent SID's). Therefore, your entry would be

	mysid	1521/tcp
	mysid2	1522/tcp

You can use listener as the port name, but it is kind of generic and tends to get used in other software packages, etc. Therefore, the SID usually makes more sense.

Let me know if you need more help, and I will send copies of my listener.ora, etc files.

Rich
richj_at_iquest.com Received on Tue Feb 06 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message