Re: problems installing Oracle 7.1 Workgroup Server NT and MS Access

From: Richard Ramirez <ou79138_at_deere.com>
Date: 1996/02/02

Ralf.Saatkamp_at_t-online.de (Ralf Saatkamp) wrote:
>I'm a new User of Oracle Workgroup Server/NT. I tried to install it and I
>found some
>problems I couldn't explain very well.
>
>1) Is it necessary to set an unique index on a field in order to get
>access to that table with an
>ODBC-driver? What possibilities do I have to create an n:m relation?
>2) How can I install referentiell integry?
>3) As I tried to export a relatively large table (about 19.000 records)
>from Access to Oracle
>7.1 I got an error (ODBC failed). How can I export this table?
>
>At the moment we try to change the database from MS Access to Oracle.
>If Anyone has some hints about it, I'm interested!

ODBC requires tables to have an index on the primary key. This should not be a problem if you defined primary keys in Oracle since Oracle creates an index automatically.

I have had problems with ODBC and Oracle because of data types. I had a column defined as NUMBER(10) or larger and ODBC translated this to floating point and then returned all rows as invalid. Take this with a grain of salt, I am not an ODBC expert.

I don't know what the problem in uploading the large table is. You could export the table to an ASCII file and use SQL-Loader.

Richard Received on Fri Feb 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message