Re: IOUG - ASK THE PRESIDENT TO STEP DOWN??

From: Ian Abramson <ai178_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: 1996/01/29

Craig Kasold (cdg_at_ix.netcom.com) writes:
> HELLO ALL IOUG MEMBER'S
> It has recently been brought to my attention that ORACLE will not be
> supporting the IOUG any longer. The reasons vary, but all of them
> point to the president, Mike Corey, insisting that he get his way. I
> thought it very odd that the president of the IOUG would make a
> descision as big as this without informing the members of what was
> going on, at least tell the members what happened and why ORACLE would
> not be supporting the IOUG any more. I have not heard, have you?
> Without ORACLE can the IOUG really exsist??
> You be the judge, do you want a president and his staff that make
> these apparently HUGE decisions without ANY regard to the membership?
> I do not. Let's try to patch things up with ORACLE CORP. (if we can)
> and get them behind us once again. One way to do this is probably to
> demand that the president, Mike Corey step down.
> Let's do what we have to do.
> Craig E. Kasold

Wake up Carig,

        It is nice for everyone to complain that the IOUG is at fault here, but have you ever thought that Oracle may be trying to control the IOUG itself. It would have been very advantageous for Oracle to control the user community, as other software vendors do, but to the credit of the IOUG, the organization has tried to retain a certain level of autonomy.

        The IOUG is for users and by users, Mike Corey, THE PAST PRESIDENT, appears to have done well, but IMHO Oracle could have been a little more cooperative.

        Craig, don't just look at symtoms, look at what may have caused the problem. Mike Corey or the rest of the board have served the user group well, it time that Oracle starts to listen to the users and their representatives so that we can work together for a better product.

        This may be a case where we don't all have the information to make a clear decision of guilt, but you must consider all possiblities and based on Oracle's past track record, the problem may have been caused by Oracle's greed.

Let's find out the real story!

Ian

Ian Abramson				||   Oracle Expert to the Stars   |
ai178_at_freenet.carleton.ca (Ottawa, ON)	||   Commit;                      |