Re: AS/400 and DB2 vs. Unix and Oracle

From: Richard D Phillips <RPhill3514_at_gnn.com>
Date: 1996/01/28

After reading this posting concerning the downtime on an A/S 400 and S36 etc. I thought I would comment.

We have been running IBM S32, 34, 36, and A/S 400 hardware since 1977. We have experienced 8 hours of unplanned downtime for two disk replacements on a 9335 disk set on the A/S 400. Typically the only time we shut down is for a RCLSTG prior to a Version / Release install. Knock on Wood.

Regarding Inventory Control on the A/S 400. We are an "old style" RPG only shop with about 40 % of our application mix running
"inventory control" both typical "count/move" and not so typical
"produce/use" applications. Chemical conversions for liquids and
solids, lot tracking, and recall procedures are what typically give most canned software the hardest time. SSA or SAA (I never can keep that company name straight) and Prizm are both very nice packages.

We are currently running in parallel with a ES9000 with R2 SAP and R3 SAP on some big HP9000 servers. They can not handle liquid to solid conversions. Other than that, SAP is very complete and really overkill for most small to mid-size companies. Received on Sun Jan 28 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message