Re: LARGE DATABASES-UNIX SUN SOLARIS 2.4

From: Peter Golledge <Peter>
Date: 1996/01/25

Mary McDonald (mmcdonal_at_harris.com) wrote:
: HELP!

: I am trying to build several 10gig + tables and I don't know what is the best
: file size for the datafiles. I've heard that for a Sun Solaris2.4 unix
: server the filesizes may not be any bigger than 2gig's?? Is this true. If not,

Current Oracle has a limit of 2GB on datafiles except on certain '64 bit' machine ports. You can create larger tablespaces by adding datafiles (2GB at a time). Make sure you backup _all_ of the datafiles during tablespace backup :-0

: what about disk stripping a 10gig datafile into 5 2gig chunks(not ORACLE stripping)
: This would lessen the number of extents by having only 1 ten gig datafile. Any
: recommendations or info would be appreciated.

To a single 10GB datafile you will need a machine on which Oracle supports > 2GB tablespaces _and_ a filesystem which supports 10GB filesystems (XFS on SGI??). You could use RAID 0 to create a 10GB virtual disk and go 'raw', again only on certain machines.

Good luck

--
Peter Golledge