Re: Why SQLNET when ODBC is available?

From: Sunil Mushran <smushran_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/01/25

jeff brown <jabrown_at_cris.com> wrote:

>The subject says it all...

>Why should you use SQLNET when ODBC links are available (for the windows
>clients, of course)?

>I am looking for pointers to concrete test results, etc. I have
>heard..."but it is so much faster"...but never have seen a decent
>head-to-head comparison.

>Also, are there any differences in functionality between the two?

>Thanks for the help.

Oracle's ODBC driver is just a layer on top of the Oracle Client Library (RSF). Sql*Net gives it the flexibility to connect to an Oracle database residing on any platform.

One can always write a ODBC driver not linked with the RSF on Windows and thus not having to deal with Sql*Net... but that would mean writing the networking code on the client-side and the server-side.

sm Received on Thu Jan 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message