Re: Why is it so difficult to shutdown Oracle?

From: Nick Keeman <nick_at_bart.nl>
Date: 1996/01/24

In article <DLnrMG.22w_at_twisto.eng.hou.compaq.com>,

   Kim Hughes <Kim=Hughes%NA%Contractors_at_bangate.compaq.com> wrote:
>Arthur,
> I am a DBA consultant also. And yes there is another way to kill those
>processes without using the 'KILL' command. The command is:
> SHUTDOWN ABORT
> If your DBA consultant tells you this is not a safe way to shutdown the
>database inform him it is just as safe as executing the ALTER SESSION KILL
>command. Both halt the session instantly.
>
>D. Kim Hughes
>Managing Consultant
>DRT Systems
>Houston, TX
>(713)868-5537

Not entirely true!!

shutdown abort kill all processes including the dbwr, lgwr, pmon etcetera. Meaning that when there's no way for the instance to rollback or write SGA-blocks. The moment you startup again Oracle has to do a rollforward and a recovery of the database. This could take quite a while and could be risky. It seems to me that killing the user sessions one by one is a good solution allthough I think that 'shutdown immediately' should work as well but yoy have to give the instance time to rollback the killed usersessions.

Nick.

       ////
      (o o)
Nick Keeman       | The Golden rule:                    | email   nick_at_bart.nl
The Hague         | He who has the gold makes the rules | Voice +31-70-3466029
The Netherlands   |                                     |   Fax +31-70-3463418