Re: Why is it so difficult to shutdown Oracle?

From: Jacob Love <jlove_at_engin.umich.edu>
Date: 1996/01/24

In article <4e411c$k0j_at_inet-nntp-gw-1.us.oracle.com>, Sunil Mushran <smushran_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:
>Strange.... At least on Desktop Servers (NetWare et al), SHUTDOWN
>IMMEDIATE kills all the shadow processes (i.e. both local and remote
>connections).

Shutdown immediate should be able to log idle connections off, but in my experience, if any remote users have any sort of pending transactions (including bogus ones), it will politely refrain from cutting them off. You have a choice between using a tool to cut them off, or using shutdown abort. In either case, you risk partial transaction logging. (Caveat: I'm an ex-DBA and haven't worked with anything higher than 7.1 as a DBA.)

--
Jack F. Love