Re: Naming Conventions for Multiple Oracle Instances

From: Robert Walters <bobwal_at_infocom.com>
Date: 1996/01/23

yattwood_at_world.nad.northrop.com (Yaca R. Attwood) wrote:

> Our organization will be creating an Application Development Center for
> the programmers and application developers to do their work in. Due to the
> various idiosyncracies of software, the DBA's will have to maintain several
> versions of Oracle (7.0.16 through 7.2.2) on the server. We are trying to
> come up with a workable naming convention for the various instances, and
> we'd like to know what others in this situation are doing.

When I was a DBA at McDonnell-Douglas in a software development shop, we had the exact same situation. One of the ways we configured the database instances was in terms of a consistent tool. We created a new database, with the schema modifications, for each successive release of this tool.

Thus, version 2.1 of our tool was in instance V21

      version 2.2 of our tool was in instance V22

and so forth.

Since it was a coordinated effort, when we upgraded versions of Oracle, we targeted the upgrade into a release of our tool. Thus, the V21 instance ran against Version 5.1.22 of Oracle, and so on.

(I told you this was some time ago.)

Bob Walters

Florists' Mutual Insurance Co.
bobwal_at_infocom.com Received on Tue Jan 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message