Re: Oracle Forms performance over SLIP connection

From: Craig Harper <caharper_at_hooked.net>
Date: 1996/01/22

"Chris E. Haroian" <charoian_at_s1.drc.com> wrote:
>We are developing a system using Oracle Forms running on OpenVMS
>on a DEC Alpha Server 1000 4/233. Some of our users will be connecting
>with SLIP. I would be interested to hear about performance issues regarding Oracle Forms and SLIP from those who have this experie=
 nce. Or, if someone knows where I could get this sort of information, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

I am using forms 4.5.x over a SLIP/PPP connection with SQL*NET and 288 modems. It is ok. Kind of slow depending on the query, number of tables etc. We used alot of stored proc and packages that executed on the server  side, that way we are only passing VARS acrossd the network one-way and the solutions to the queries, etc. the other.

I am not sure if this will help but if you are planning to distribute SQL*NET and the Forms runtime files you will most likly run into problems unless you use Oracles installer. I have created an installer that will deploy runtime forms, graphics etc. but I am unable to get SQL*NET to create a winsock unless I use the Oracle installer.

Good luck

Craig Harper
IFTN Received on Mon Jan 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message