Re: determining extent sizes

From: Paul Osborn <posborn_at_menlosoftware.com>
Date: 1996/01/22

msabbey_at_magi.com (Michael Abbey) wrote:

>My feeling is to always allocate one extent large enough for the whole
>table.

>Michael

>chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com (Chuck Hamilton) wrote:

>>I'm curious as to what other DBAs do when creating new tables. Is it
>>better to:

>>1) estimate actual table sizes and create the initial extent to be
>>that size,

>>or

>>2) make all extents the same size so it's easier for the RDBMS to
>>reuse free'd up extents?

>>--
>>Chuck Hamilton
>>chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com

>>Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself!

I have to agree with Mike. Also, IMO keep your pctincrease at 0, set the next extent size appropriately (i.e. not too small), and regularly monitor the extent size of your indexes and tables.

[warning: self promotion on]
You can find a script to help you monitor extent size at: www.menlosoftware.com
[self promotion off]

Regards,
Paul Osborn
posborn_at_menlosoftware.com Received on Mon Jan 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message