Re: Naming Conventions for Multiple Oracle Instances

From: Steve Butler <sbut-is_at_seatimes.com>
Date: 1996/01/19

On Tue, 16 Jan 1996, Yaca R. Attwood wrote:

> Our organization will be creating an Application Development Center for
> the programmers and application developers to do their work in. Due to the
> various idiosyncracies of software, the DBA's will have to maintain several
> versions of Oracle (7.0.16 through 7.2.2) on the server. We are trying to
> come up with a workable naming convention for the various instances, and
> we'd like to know what others in this situation are doing.

We started out using PRD, TST, and DEV. However, we had a case where two different application databases had to reside on the same physical box for a couple of months. It's real tough to have two different PRD, TST, and DEV databases on the same box!!

We tried pre-pending the application ID to turn these into MSS_PRD, DOCS_PRD, MSS_TST, DOCS_TST, MSS_DEV, and DOCS_DEV. But there is a small problem on AIX that causes interaction among the SGA's that have identical SIDS in the first four characters.

We are experimenting with MSSP, MSST, MSSD and PDOC, DDOC, TDOC (trying the application ID on the front and at the end). I'd say having the difference in the first position is better than having the difference at the end.

In short, you will want to encode the application and region into the SID using a max of four characters.

--Steve

| Steve Butler          Voice:  206-464-2998         |
| The Seattle Times       Fax:  206-382-8898         |
| PO Box 70          Internet:  sbut-is_at_seatimes.com |
| Seattle, WA 98111    Packet:  KG7JE_at_N6EQZ.WA       |
All standard and non-standard disclaimers apply. All other sources are annonymous. Received on Fri Jan 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message