Re: Oracle Lite?? What on earth is it?

From: IBS Pty Ltd <ibsuucp_at_ibs.dialix.oz.au>
Date: 1996/01/17

In article <821542416.14570_at_sot-mod35.aladdin.co.uk>, Nick Todd (ssl_at_aladdin.co.uk) writes:
>Hi,
> I caught a glimpse of a magazine article which mentioned a new PC
>product - Oracle Lite. Apparently its designed to compete with MS
>Access, in that it doesn't need a large amount of memory as does
>Personal Oracle 7. I checked Oracle's web-site for more details but
>was unable to find anything. Anybody have any details - or did I dream
>it?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Nick

I was at the Australian OpenWorld in November and they made mention of this, so no you are not dreaming it up.

My question to them at the time was how it was going to position itself against Blaze. The response was surprising, "we are working that out at the moment". So there is going to be yet another Oracle PC database, but your guess is as good as theirs as to what it will look like, what it will support, and what it will not.

Hopefully it will be a step up from Blaze, so that we can develop applications that will run on the same style of Oracle DB from a single user desktop version that will not have any other runtime costs (like Blaze but supporting SQL*Plus, multi-column keys! etc) through the Workgroup DBs up to the Enterprise DBs.

Andrew Zerk

Integrated Business Support Pty Ltd Ph +617 3844 3699
Unit 1B, 17 Peel Street               Fax   +617 3844 3192
South Brisbane Qld 4104               Email support_at_ibs.dialix.oz.au
Australia                             http://brisbane.dialix.oz.au/~ibs
Quality software for the banking and finance industries