Q: How to talk directly to oracle?

From: Terry Thorsen <terry_at_unix.asb.com>
Date: 1996/01/13

 I'm trying to find out the different ways to talk directly to Oracle on  UNIX. I would like if anyone could disclaim what I have found out or  eleborate on what is wrong or what is missing.

 Visigenic ODBC SDK - requires odbc driver. Not sure how this talks

      to SQL*net or to oracle without SQL*net.

 PRO*C - precompiler. Does this use libraries?

 OCI - Must use libraries but what do these libraries do? Do they

      set up their own session? Do they talk through SQL*Plus?

 Pipes to SQL*Plus - hmmm. Is this efficient? Is it standard?

 Something about an SQL*Plus spool directory?

 dbtools.h - Not sure how this works but looks real nice.

 other "class libraries" - must work like dbtools.h

 Advice is greatly appreciated,
 Terry Thorsen
 terry_at_unix.asb.com Received on Sat Jan 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message