Re: Shared memory problem on Oracle 7.2.2

From: Andrew Zitelli <zitelli_at_tus.ssi1.com>
Date: 1996/01/12

Several contributors have recently written things like:

> We are quite frequently getting error 4031 from our Oracle 7.2.2
> database. Does anyone know if this a known problem on Oracle 7.2.2?

Yes! Oracle 7.2.2.3 and 7.2.2.4 both seem to suffer from a shared pool memory leak problem. Other versions may be affected. This eventually leads to the ORA-403 1errors (and other problems). Normal methods for controlling shared pool problems only seem to postpone this error, due to a bug in the coalescing of free space in the shared pool. In most environments, periodically flushing the shared pool using ALTER SYSTEM FLUSH SHARED_POOL seems to avoid the ORA-4031 errors, but does not fix the underlying problem. Bill Beaton (beatonb_at_cadvision.com) has previously offered extensive comments on this. It seems bug 312953 can be patched in version 7.2.2.4 to correct this, but seriously degrades database performance.

QUESTIONS: Does anyone know if this bug is still present in version 7.2.3 which is now shipping on some platforms? Secondly, does anyone know when version 7.3 will begin being released? This bug is officially supposed to be fixed by 7.3. Received on Fri Jan 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message