Re: Hot Backups

From: Neil Greene <ngreene_at_locws140049.shl.com>
Date: 1996/01/06

Jon Goldberg <jgoldberg_at_dbintellect.com> writes:

>Hi,

> Has anyone experenced the following:

>While running hot backups with a tablespace in begin backup mode had
>Oracle crash or shutdown in abort mode?!? When Oracle comes back up it
>requires Media Recovery. To me this is a BUG. Oracle does not have that
>documented. Why should Oracle care since all begin backup does is put a
>rom in the v$ tables and a marker in the redo log.

Ummmm, not sure about that. I think I remember reading in the Admin book that media recovery may be required just in this case. But, when you perform the media recovery, you will realize that things are pretty quick and/or fairly automatic. I have tested just this case several times and if I remember correctly, I think I recall someone from Oracle telling me that this type of media recovery only updates the file headers. Could someone elaborate?

--
Neil Greene
Senior Oracle DBA / Unix System Administrator