Re: Is it possible to call a C program from a stored procedure?

From: Robert Goodwin <robert.goodwin_at_msfc.nasa.gov>
Date: 1996/01/05

In article <4chqt1$p3o_at_chopin.bcit.bc.ca>, lenka@ (Benjamin Yu) wrote:
>I need to call an external program from a stored procedure in Oracle 7.1.
 Can
>this be done?
>
>Thanks
>Benjamin Yu
>BCIT
>byu_at_bcit.bc.ca

Although I haven't done it myself, I understand that the DBMS_PIPE package allows you to have a stored procedure that pipes data to an external program. I believe this package is available in 7.1; if not, then in 7.2 for sure. The catch is that the external program has to be running already (in a wait state, for instance). You can't launch an external program from a stored procedure. Hope this helps.

Robert Goodwin            |
New Technology, Inc.      |
Huntsville, AL            | robert.goodwin_at_msfc.nasa.gov