Re: Help! Simple questions.

From: <gary.wong_at_cyberstore.ca>
Date: 1996/01/02

> Ed White <ewhite_at_ingenia.com> writes:
> deng mei wrote:

< comments about slow operation of Oracle RDBMS>

> It is very hard to say why your system is slow. There are many things
> you can do to cut down on heavy disk I/O, most of which involve
> seperating files to avoid disk contention. As for the user profile
> message. This is not likly causing any of the performance problems. The
> user profile is how ORACLE assigns/revokes privilages to the Database.
> Setting this up is operating system specific and simply involves
> executing a script. See your SQL users guide for info pertaining to your
> platform.
> --
> Ed White (ewhite_at_ingenia.com)
> http://www.ingenia.com/home/team/ewhite.html
> Ingenia Communications Corporation
> Ottawa, Ontario

Deng,

I agree 100% with what Ed has said. In addition, make sure you've got a large *permanent* Windows swap file (I'm assuming you're running Personal Oracle7 on Windows). Also, for better stability, try to clear as much conventional memory (<640 K) as possible by loading your drivers in upper memory, or not loading unneeded TSR's.

The answer to the 'Product User Profile' problem can be found by looking at <OracleHome>\plus31\v7pup.sql; however, as Ed mentioned, this wouldn't be the cause of of your slow performance.

What applications are you running against the RDBMS?

Gary Wong (gary.wong_at_cyberstore.ca)
Information Technology Consultant
(604) 360-1699 (Voice)
(604) 384-1178 (Fax) Received on Tue Jan 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message