Re: Help! Simple questions.

From: Ed White <ewhite_at_ingenia.com>
Date: 1996/01/02

deng mei wrote:

> I just begin to learn Oracle. I found it is terribly slow. My PC is
> Pentium 75, 16 MB RAM. Also I found excessive disk operation. Any thing
> wrong with the set up. When I login to SQL*Plus, it did say that "Product
> user profile not loaded, ....disenabling ....." Is this the problem. If
> yes, tell me how to do it, in detail please; if not, what is the real
> problem? My HD makes terrible noise every time when I insert a row into a
> table. Thank you in advance!

It is very hard to say why your system is slow. There are many things you can do to cut down on heavy disk I/O, most of which involve seperating files to avoid disk contention. As for the user profile message. This is not likly causing any of the performance problems. The user profile is how ORACLE assigns/revokes privilages to the Database. Setting this up is operating system specific and simply involves executing a script. See your SQL users guide for info pertaining to your platform.

Ed White  (ewhite_at_ingenia.com)
http://www.ingenia.com/home/team/ewhite.html
Ingenia Communications Corporation
Ottawa, Ontario