Power Objects Problem: PFW-4002 with repeaters containing a popup

From: Henkjan Korpel <hjk_at_pop.pi.net>
Date: 1995/12/27

I'm having problems developing an application in Power Objects: I've implemented a repeater display ( on a form) with a popup on it to accomplish the maintenance of an intermediary table: the enveloping form (let's call it form "A") conains the master records, the repeater-display contains the detail-records of the intermediary table, the popup contains the records for the third main table. It's possible to access this third table through another form (form "B") for the sake of argument in no way connected to "A"). "B" can be called from "A" and to me it's essential that any altered information in "B" is shown directly on the popup on the repeater in "A" - of course after committing the changes in "B". I gathered that this could be achieved by using the "UpdateList" method on the popup, but this gives me some problems.

  1. I cannot directly reach for the popup - and subsequently the UpdateList-Method - through the Object-hierarchy: I've tried "form-name-> repeater-name-> popup-name-> updatelist()" and "form-name-> repeater-name-> repeater-panel-name-> popup-name-> updatelist()". I believe the last one to be correct, but in executing the code I get nothing but errors indicating that the object is not found (yes i'm running the full application, not just the form). I am forced to use the indirect method of accessing this popup with the Firstchild and the NextControl methods. Not Nice.
  2. In achieving an update for a popup (not just this popup, but also popups appearing directly on a form) I first have to fill the Translation property - even if I'm using the same "SELECT" statement - before i can use "UpdateList". If "UpdateList" is used by itself nothing happens. This seems to be a little overdone: just calling "UpdateList" should suffice to achieve an updated popup-list.
  3. These two problems can be dealt with, but the third brings me down: when i try to update the popup-list combining the before-mentioned solutions i get the error "PFW-4002:assertion failed" with a file-name (C++-file) and a line-number (I believe 591). I've used this method both in the click()-mehtod that closes window "B" - on it's way back to "A" - as well as in the showwindow()-method on "A". Both resulted in the same error occurring when i filled in the translation-property on the popup.

What's wrong with this picture? Is it a bug or is it a feature - and why?. And by the way: can we expect a new version of Power Objects soon? Anbody knows??

Henkjan Korpel
Holland
Email hjk_at_pop.pi.net