Re: Running Multiple Instances under Netware

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/12/26

sds_at_dataplusnet.com (Strategic Data Systems) wrote:

>In article <4bbla5$eo2_at_clyde.open.ac.uk>, @open.ac.uk says...
>>
>>I am wanting to run multiple instances on a oracle netware server but cannot
>>work out how to do it. Could anyone help?
>>
>>I have het up a new init file canned demo.ora with a new database name in it
>>I have set the parameter in the netware config.ora to TRUE to allow multiple
>>instances.
>>Then I loaded sqldba and did a set instance demo
>>and a connect internal then a startup pfile=demo.ora nomount
>>but this still seems to big up the default null instance.
>>
>>What else do I need to do?
>>
>>I am running netware 3.12, Oracle 7.1 and sqlspx v1.1
>>Dos/os2and windows clients all access ther server.
>>
>>Please can anyone help?

>You can only have ONE instance of Oracle under Netware 3.x.

Not true. I'm running multiple instances of Oracle 7.1.3.3.2 on Netware 3.12 as we speak. Bulletin # 106754.234 documents it pretty thoroughly.

Here's a couple of things to try.

  1. Did you unload all of the Oracle NLMs before changing CONFIG.ORA? Not just stopping the databsae, but unloading the NLMs too. You must unload the NLMs (ORAUNLD I think), change the file, then reload the NLMs (ORALOAD).
  2. Make sure all of your patches are up to date. Call Oracle support and ask for a list of them. These are mainly Netware patches.
  3. Make sure that the two database names are different as well as the instance names.

HTH
>Does Netware 4.x handle more than one? I don't know.

>Does anyone have an answer to 4.x and multiple instances?

Get a copy of the same bulletin mentioned above.

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com

Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself!