Re: Pro*C Release 2.0 experiences ? - Second Posting

From: Doug Harris <ah513_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: 1995/12/21

Geoffrey A. Orr (gorr_at_ix.netcom.com) writes:
> Netters,
>
> My previous post described how I tried to go from Pro*C 1.5.9 to Pro*C
> 2.0, and found plenty of incompatibilities and even one bug. My
> support organization says just to use 1.6 (we got 1.6 and 2.0
> together).
>
> Does anyone out there use Pro*C 2.0? Does it work? Are there patches?
> Has anyone moved from 1.5.9 or 1.6 to 2.0?

   I've seen some apps make the change to 2.0 with no problems and others which fell apart. One novel problem resulted from 2.0's new preprocessing support and a programmer who had done something like...

#define AND &&
#define OR ||

... the result was some really neat SQL like...

   SELECT blah

      FROM foo
      WHERE key1 = :key1
         && key2 = :key2;

   That app is still runnung under 1.6 until someone finds time to clean up the code.

--
   - Doug Harris
     IS Project Leader, Prices Division,