Re: Pro*C Release 2.0 experiences ? - Second Posting

From: Mahesh Vallampati <mvallamp_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/12/21

gorr_at_ix.netcom.com(Geoffrey A. Orr ) writes:

>Netters,
>
>My previous post described how I tried to go from Pro*C 1.5.9 to Pro*C
>2.0, and found plenty of incompatibilities and even one bug. My
>support organization says just to use 1.6 (we got 1.6 and 2.0
>together).
>
>Does anyone out there use Pro*C 2.0? Does it work? Are there patches?
>Has anyone moved from 1.5.9 or 1.6 to 2.0?
>
>I appreciate any and all responses.
>

>Geoff Orr
Hi there
Of course PRO*C 2.0 works. We just implemeneted a 5000 line PRO*C program for a customer and it works fine. I worked with 1.6 a while ago and some differences I noticed were 2.0
1. It is more rigorous in Syntax checking 2. More precompiler Options and a LOT of additional features which you wished you had in version 1.6.

I don't know who your support organization is. But Oracle's customer support should be able to give you patch information and upgrade path options for your specific platform. The name of your platform information would also help.

One thing you might want to look at is if you are using functions in your previous version of the code, you have to declare the prototype before the actual function
like
int connect(char *username, char *password);

int connect(char *username, char*password) {
blah;
foo;
}
This is a requirement of ANSI C. Version 2.0 is more ANSI oriented. I think there is an option in the version 2.0 precompiler to switch between ANSI and the old standard.
If you can also give information about whether the program is failing in the precompilation stage or in the compile stage and what C compiler you are using. You should not use /usr/ucb/cc. Are you using the vendor supplied C compiler? Please furnish more information.....

Thanks
Mahesh Vallampati
Staff Consultant
Oracle Services
mvallamp_at_us.oracle.com Received on Thu Dec 21 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message