Re: Developer/2000 strengths, was Re: Power Objects - Is there a mar

From: Mattias Larsson <mattias.larsson_at_lule.frontec.se>
Date: 1995/12/17

David Perez wrote:

> We are also using Developer/2000 for a project. In fact, after being told repeatedly by Oracle
> support that every problem we called in about was "FIXED IN V1.2 (Forms 4.5.6.5.5), we upgraded
> LAST Friday. In the ensuing week we've experienced a PL/SQL compiler that does not flag
> errors, fonts that display differently between runform and designer, a variety of extremely
> annoying other problems, and BEST OF ALL - some form of corruption that renders blocks
> impossible to access in the layout editor. The form GPF when attempting to edit the block.
> This is a pernicious and increasing problem - 12/13 at 14:22 I had all blocks accessible.
> 12/14 at 11:50 I had one bad block. 12/14 at 15:30 I had 5. Oracle gave a "workaround" that
> WORKED for approximately 3 hours. As of 12/15 at 15:30 our project is dead in the water.
> Oracle does not want to make this a P1 priority even though their workaround didn't work, until
> yet ANOTHER day is lost.
>
> I won't even go into the frequent GPFs, mediocre performance, inconsistent behavior in the
> tool, periodically appalling support, constant need to upgrade (monthly) to correct major bugs,
> etc.
>
> If Power Objects is anything like Developer, I'd suggest using VB or Powerbuilder instead.

We're using Forms 4.5 to develop a client/server system with 50 PC clients and have had a lot of GPF:s and strange bugs. But after upgrading to Forms 4.5.6.5.5 (release 1.2) AND switching to Windows NT 3.51 everything runs much better.

Forms still hangs but at least you don't have to reboot every time...

Regards,
Mattias

Mattias Larsson
Arctic Software AB      Phone  +46 920 751 81
Aurorum 1               Fax    +46 920 752 99
S-977 75  LULEĆ…

SWEDEN mail: mattias.larsson_at_lule.frontec.se Received on Sun Dec 17 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message