Re: Hiding username/password from ps

From: Randy Dewoolfson <randyd_at_cais3.cais.com>
Date: 1995/12/16

Andy Caiger (Andy.Caiger_at_bbsrc.ac.uk) wrote:

: Hi,

: We're running SQL*Plus and SQL*Forms from Tcl-Tk scripts on Solaris
: 2.4 and we've noticed that if you put the username and password on the
: command line they show up to anyone who does "ps -ef".

: Has anyone discovered a way round this ? It looks like sqlplus might take
: the password on the standard input, but what about runform ?

: Looking forward to the answer....

: Andy

You can try to embed the user name and password in environment variables, and use these when you actually run the script. Then they will be invisible to ps.

Randy :)

--
  .?$" '?i     .                              I  Randy DeWoolfson  I