Re: Hiding username/password from ps

From: <zahgurim_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/12/18

In article <4av6b0$k2p_at_zippy.cais.net>, randyd_at_cais3.cais.com (Randy Dewoolfson) writes:

>Andy Caiger (Andy.Caiger_at_bbsrc.ac.uk) wrote:
>
>: Hi,

>: We're running SQL*Plus and SQL*Forms from Tcl-Tk scripts on Solaris
>: 2.4 and we've noticed that if you put the username and password on the
>: command line they show up to anyone who does "ps -ef".

>: Has anyone discovered a way round this ? It looks like sqlplus might take
>: the password on the standard input, but what about runform ?

>: Looking forward to the answer....

>: Andy
>
>You can try to embed the user name and password in environment
>variables, and use these when you actually run the script. Then
>they will be invisible to ps.
>
>Randy :)
>--
Andy,

If you do want to create your own ps command...try:

    ps $1 $2 | grep -v 'sql*'

Though in Neil Greene's article I read earlier the c code looks like a better solution.

Happy Holidays!

Jim

"I was walking down the street, something caught my eye...and dragged it fifteen feet" -Emo Phillips Received on Mon Dec 18 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message