(no subject)

From: Jim Bodie <jbodie_at_compusmart.ab.ca>
Date: 1995/12/15

When we set up our first on-line claims history database (the pre-cursor of our data warehouse), it was my intention that the database be set up so that it would appear as a single set of tables to our end users. I was advised that due to restrictions in Unix, no table could span more than a single physical volume (at that time, 1.3 GB), and therefore we divided our database into monthly segments, to keep the maximum table size below 1.3 GB. We have since used striping as a method of storing large tables in other databases.

My question: are there other methods (besides striping) of organizing data in very large tables so that the user sees only a single table?

(I hope I am making myself clear here.) Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

--
Jim Bodie, Alberta Blue Cross              email: jbodie_at_compusmart.ab.ca
10009 - 108 Street                         phone: (403) 498-8268