Re: Advice needed on learning Oracle

From: Ashu Potnis <apotnis_at_TechnoSolutions.com>
Date: 1995/12/13

In article <30CE43F9.5348_at_gate.net>, "Robert C. Nix" <nix_at_gate.net> wrote:
>Kenneth Nichols wrote:
>>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm about to receive my MS in CS and have a little experience in Oracle
>> (SQL, Forms 3), but not enough to be considered 'experienced'. I would
>> like to buy the single user version of Oracle RDB (not Personal Oracle)
>> so I can practice forms, PL/SQL, menus, etc.
>>
>> My question is: can I learn adequately from the single-user product? At
>> $1500, it's a major purchase for a student. Also, I have a Mac and a
>> PC. Is there a Mac version? What's the best choice among DOS, OS/2,
>> and WinNT versions? Currently I have only Win31 and DOS on my PC.
>>
>> Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Ken
>
>PO7 for Win95 would be a very good choice for a single user DBMS and the
 price
>is right. PO7 would be an excelent starting point.
>
>I personally prefer O7 Server for NT, but I am very experienced (6yrs) with
 Oracle's
>RDBMS and Tools.

PO7 for Win95 would expose you to about 90% of the Oracle RDBMS functionality and features. However, PO7 does not include the Developer 2000 product (Forms 4.5, Menu, Reports 2.5 etc) which is sold separately.

Hope this helps.

Ashu

                                     TechnoSolutions Corporation. Received on Wed Dec 13 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message