Re: Index size calculation

From: stauffer <stauffer_at_swarthmore.edu>
Date: 1995/12/13

Ault figures the ROWID length into the average row length calculation (p84 of Oracle 7 Administration and Management). He uses the number 6 for the ROWID length.

In Oracle 7, you'd maybe be better off building a sample index and using the ANALYZE INDEX COMPUTE/ESTIMATE STATISTICS command.

Glenn

In article <4a9g8j$trf_at_source.asset.com>, adamsm_at_source.asset.com (R. Matthew Adams) wrote:

>I'm confused. I've looked at two different set of equations for
>calculating index sizes, the one in the Oracle Administrators Guide
>and the one in Loney's DBA Handbooks. Oracle claims that the ROWID
>is stored within the index and therefore it's size must be included
>in the amount of space needed per row. Loney makes no mention of this.
>
>Does anybody know which set of equations yields more accurate results?
>

>--
>R. Matthew Adams
>adamsm_at_source.asset.com speaking for himself
>When someone says, "I want a programming language in which I need only
>say what I wish done," give him a lollipop.
To get random signatures put text files into a folder called ³Random Signatures² into your Preferences folder. Received on Wed Dec 13 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message