Re: Oracle Sql-plus question

From: Albert W. Dorrington <awdorrin_at_kocrsv01.delcoelect.com>
Date: 1995/12/06

In article <4a50sg$17k_at_kocrsv08.delcoelect.com>, awdorrin_at_kocrsv01.delcoelect.com (Albert W. Dorrington) writes:

|> I thought I had figured this out once before, but I can't
|> seem to remember right now.
|> Is there a way using an sqlplus query to have an order by
|> clause actually order the numbers in numeric order,
|> (1, 2, ... 10, 19, 20, etc) instead of its strange ordering
|> (1, 10, 19, 2, 20, etc)
|>
|> Thanks in advance,
|> Al

        Looks like I should have held out a few more minutes before posting. I finally remembered what I 'forgot'.

        The column I'm trying to order by is actually defined to hold characters, so the order by clause sorted the numbers as characters.

        All I needed to do was change my order by clause from 'order by sublot_id' to 'order by to_number( sublot_id)'

Sorry for wasting bandwidth :)

-Al

--
Al Dorrington
awdorrin_at_ictest.delcoelect.com                     Database Admin