Re: refering to a variable column

From: Gary Myers <101355.3556_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 1995/12/04

Yes, it is possible to access variable column names through Pro*C. The easiest method is to use dynamic SQL to define the cursor. If the number of columns returned is fixed, then it's fairly easy to define the cursor dynamically and do the fetch as normal. If the number of columns is variable you can either cheat (by selecting a number of dummy columns up to a theoretical or practical maximum) or indulge in some much more complicated dynamic SQL.  This is covered in the Pro*C supplement. I don't have access to that myself (only the Pro*Cobol version). However I can probably give some more detailed instructions if required.
  Gary

--
Gary Myers, Analyst/Programmer, Kaisha Technology, West of England