Re: Ownership issues, would Trusted Oracle help?

From: Ed Bruce <edward_at_igate1.hac.com>
Date: 1995/11/28

In article <49f2ah$q11_at_ratatosk.uio.no>, torfridl_at_ulrik.uio.no (Torfrid Leek) wrote:

<snip>
> OR we could use views, and have an extra column in each table, but again each
> administrative entity would have to have its own set of views. This is a
 lot of
> overhead. The frontend tool is Powerbuilder, which doesn't exactly improve the
> functionality...

If I understand your problem you want a central database that organizes data by owners. You only need one view per table or data object. For every data object that the different departments can retrieve you create a view. For every table you add an user or group column to designate who owns the data. Create two more tables. One to identify users the other groups(departments) that users can belong too. Your views will always join data to the user and group tables. The view will join the current user to the user table which joins to the group which joins to the table with the data.

We are currently using this method. Every row in our data base is either identfied as belonging to a group or an individual. When someone connects to the database they cannot retrieve any data unless it belongs to them or their group. Of course stored procedures make implementing this logic easier(updates).

--
Ed Bruce
edward_at_igate1.hac.com