Re: ** FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - RECORD-BREAKING TPC-C RECORD!! **

From: Brian Caulfield <Brianc_at_peregrine.ie>
Date: 1995/11/22

In Article<48l410$7v8_at_gandalf.pic.net>, <rohit_at_vital.com> write:

> Every Sybase environment I have worked in has wasted massive
> >programmer time in attempting workarounds for Sybase Page Level Locking.
> >Workarounds include not locking, using browse mode and taking chances,
> >clustering artificially (and adding randomizing columns to the table)
> >to spread data around, padding rows to minimize page locks, etc.
>
> I yet have to see a place where this has been an issue in the past 6 years
> or so. It really is an application design issue. You need to see what you
> really need, row level locking or row-level-granularity in your application.

It certainly is an issue for us. I would really like to hear about work- arounds for the problem of page level locking.

And if anyone has some magical design approach which eliminates the requirement for record level locking I would love to hear that too.

This problem is killing me right now in one application.

TIA, Brian.

Name: Brian Caulfield
E-mail: Brian Caulfield <brianc_at_peregrine.ie>

Peregrine Systems Ltd.,
Beech House,
Greenhills Road,
Tallaght,