Re: ** FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - RECORD-BREAKING TPC-C RECORD!! **

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_ppp-mew.corp.sgi.com>
Date: 1995/11/22

In article <NEWTNews.817089465.6508.brianc_at_icbx25>, Brian Caulfield <Brianc_at_peregrine.ie> writes:

> In Article<48l410$7v8_at_gandalf.pic.net>, <rohit_at_vital.com> write:
> >
> > Every Sybase environment I have worked in has wasted massive
> > >programmer time in attempting workarounds for Sybase Page Level Locking.
> > >Workarounds include not locking, using browse mode and taking chances,
> > >clustering artificially (and adding randomizing columns to the table)
> > >to spread data around, padding rows to minimize page locks, etc.
> >
> > I yet have to see a place where this has been an issue in the past 6 years
> > or so. It really is an application design issue. You need to see what you
> > really need, row level locking or row-level-granularity in your application.
> >
> It certainly is an issue for us. I would really like to hear about work-
> arounds for the problem of page level locking.
>
> And if anyone has some magical design approach which eliminates the
> requirement for record level locking I would love to hear that too.
>
> This problem is killing me right now in one application.

Describe your problem...

Note, please make your follow-ups to ``comp.databases.sybase'' only... no need to pollute the Oracle bulletin board.

Pablo Sanchez              | Ph # (415) 933.3812        Fax # (415) 933.2821
pablo_at_sgi.com              | Pg # (800) 930.5635  -or-  pablo_p_at_corp.sgi.com
"I am accountable for my actions."
  • pablo