Oracle+NeXT: Let's leave Apple out of this! (Was: How he's gonna do it)

From: Ravi Mendis <lady0098_at_sable.ox.ac.uk>
Date: 1995/11/17

On Fri, 17 Nov 1995, Edward Jung wrote:

> It makes much more sense for Ellison to leverage the value of ALL of
> Oracle's market valuation (plus their cash) to try to buy Apple
> Computer. Then if he wanted to, he could try to get the board to turn
> the reigns over to Jobs (or merge with NeXT or whatever). But I think
> that would be insane.

What would be insane?! Job's back at Apple's helm: Possibly. Or a NeXT-Oracle merger?

NeXT has far more potential of creating synergy with Oracle than Apple. (Personally, i have to say Oracle seems to be straying from its strong RDBMS roots. Diving into the Hardware business is no easy task...even Oracle may feel the bite)

Let's see what the Oracle-NeXT offspring would be like, Hmmm?? 1. Oracle Object Repository
I am surprised that Oracle isn't ecstatic about being able to store Objects on its RDBMS: Oracle's RDBMS integrated with PDO/EOF would effectively be an Oracle Object Repository. (Soon with CORBA and OLE compatibility.)

2. Oracle Web Store
Oracle (Object Repository + Web Server) + NeXT WebObjects = Oracle Web Store. Even more exiting perhaps is the storage of "entities" pertaining to dynamic web pages on an Oracle RDBMS storage system.

3. Oracle Object Developer
= Oracle Developer/2000 + NeXT OPENSTEP Developer Tools. NeXT's successful tools product suit must also have been a factor in the $8 million mega-buck deal between NeXT and Merill-Lynch.

4. NeXT Enterprise Desktop (client)
OPENSTEP + EOF + Personal Oracle = NeXT Enterprise Desktop (client). Again i'm surprised that it's taking NeXT awhile to advocate its EOF "real" objects on its own system: NEXTSTEP. (e.g: a PDO/EOF "clock" object - probably residing on the "Department server", would be remotely accessed over the network from the NeXT Enterprise Desktop application more familiarly known as Preferences. Similarly, say the PrintManger application would merely be a "shell" onto the various [printer] objects living at different nodes on the network) This would make NEXTSTEP (5.0?) an environment essentially incarnate on the network, rather than the desktop.

5. NeXT Enterprise Desktop (server)
The EOF object classes: [clock],..[user], [enterprise], [dept.], ..[printer], [machine],..[mailbox], [wastebasket], [workspace], ..[document], etc,..which would be instantiated and deployed at install-time. The Enterprise Desktop Objects would be persisting at different levels, distributed around the enterprise.

         (Of course, there needs to be some method (by way of applications?) to allocate/compile/deploy the persistant PDO/EOF objects? The task of handling the security and the integrity of both the network and the objects might be a formidable management/admin task?)

So there. Talk about insanity...

Now if we were to add Apple to that equation?!?!?!

ravi Received on Fri Nov 17 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message