Re: Mac-client for Oracle Workgruup Server on a NT?

From: Bill Sofko <bsofko_at_wildwood.edu>
Date: 1995/11/11

In article <kjeller.29.30A36241_at_sofus.hiof.no>, kjeller_at_sofus.hiof.no (Kjell Erling Hagen) wrote:

> I want to connect my Mac to a Oracle Workgruup Server (v. 7.x)
> on a machine with WindowsNT.
> It is over a ethernet TBase10 network.
>
> My questions:
> Is it possible?

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to connect. Of course, you'll need the appropriate SQL*Net client software on the Mac. I'm not sure if Workgroup Server for NT supports AppleTalk, so you may need to use TCP/IP.
> What client-program should I bye?

Depends on your application, I'd say. Without having any additional information, I'd suggest you take a good look at Oracle Power Objects, which is reasonably powerful, easy to use and cross-platform as well. Omnis 7 is reportedly a good package, as is 4th Dimension from Acius. I've not used either of those extensively, however, and therefore cannot offer a good comparison to Power Objects, which I do like very much.

> Prize?
> Are there any Macs I can not use?

I've run Macs with SQL*Net against UNIX-based servers for years (across 10BASE-T networks) and don't recall problems even with the old Mac SEs. Power Objects requires a machine of some speed with a respectable amount of memory, however. I don't remember the specifics, but surely Oracle's Web site (http://www.oracle.com) contains that information.

Hope this helps.

  • Bill
--
Bill Sofko