Problem shutting down Oracle 7.1.4

From: Dragon Fly <viznyuk_at_ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu>
Date: 1995/11/11

When writing and running backup script
I ran onto the following problem:

I want to kill the sessions before I run dbshut shutdown script.
So I do for all sessions except myself and oracle: ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION 'SID, SERIAL#'; It responds with

System altered

Then I exit sqldba and run dbshut script which essentially does
connect internal
shutdown immediate

The problem is:
It hangs infinetely.

The alert*.log file says:
SHUTDOWN: waiting for logins to complete..

Could anybody give a hint what's the problem here and why it won't shutdown if I do
ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSIONS before doing shutdown?

dbshut won't hang if I do not do ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION prior to that..

Thanks,
Serge Received on Sat Nov 11 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message