PO7 Positioning

From: Gordon E. Hooker <gordonh_at_acslink.net.au>
Date: 1995/11/07

Hi All,

When reading this conference lately I have noticed a number of threads complaining about the performance of PO7 and I am the first to agree that it is not the fastest PC database on the market, nor can I see how it could be bearing in mind the roots of the product.

It is my belief the PO7 was not released to go head to head with the PC based databases. If you are looking for a product that runs really fast on a PC then buy one that is optimised for the PC platform. PO7 was released to fill a specific need in the market place, and that need can be identified in parts:

  1. A PC based fully functional version of Oracle (except options like distributed database etc.) that can be used stand alone to develop Oracle server applications. An example of that is me, I develop Oracle server based applications in a one man office for deployment to enterprise and workgroup level servers.
  2. Small sites of say an international or a national company where applications have been developed for the enterprise, and the same or a subset of those enterprise applications are required at the single small site. In such cases performance may not necessarily be an issue, or the organisation believes the need for standardisation of applications throughout the organisation negates the issue of high performance in a stand alone detached site.

Although there is nothing to stop a site from using multi-volume Windows PC's to improve performance. Received on Tue Nov 07 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message