Re: ORACLE_SID and SQL*Net Clients

From: Stephen Tyson <tyson_at_omni.voicenet.com>
Date: 1995/11/06

>How come we need TWO environment variables to do the same thing?
Well you don't want things to be easy, do you? :-)

>Now, is there any chance I can get "sqlplus /" to work?
OS authenticated accounts are disabled by default (Near as we can tell it became the default sometime between 7.1.3 and 7.1.6) when connecting using TWO_TASK. There is a parameter called something like remote_os_auth that has to be set to true for them to work.

There is a reason for this being disabled, which may or may not be valid at your site. If the users on client workstations have root for their own machines, they can create any account they want and therefore login to any Oracle OS authenticated account. This is not a problem if you use something like NIS to administer all machines and only network admins can create OS accounts. Received on Mon Nov 06 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message