Re: Sybase/Oracle table size limitation / Largest production database

From: smsi <smsi_at_texas.net>
Date: 1995/11/03

In article <478mkv$6h2_at_murrow.corp.sgi.com>,

   pablo_at_ppp-mew.corp.sgi.com (Pablo Sanchez) wrote:

>> Has anyone done benchmarks to this effect, i.e. response time for each
>> type of operation vs. size vs. number of database clients?
>
>To measure what against what else? That is, measure a base time to
>what?

I wasn't clear enough. Hold two variables constant, vary the third and measure response time. So for instance, what happens to response time for an insert for ten simulaneous clients requests for 500K/1M/10M/100M rows of 500 bytes each? In my example the choice for number of clients was arbitrary, but reasonable.

How often are you dropping and recreating your index??? And how static/dynamic is your data, i.e. % of rows changed per day and whether add/delete/change.

Thanks! I'm trying to get a feel for what people are finding "reasonable" in terms of production performance and maintenance.

Rob Lesieur
Southwestern Bell Received on Fri Nov 03 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message