Re: Restricting the capability of ODBC users

From: SV Singam <vijia_at_pop.jaring.my>
Date: 1995/11/03

Ellard_at_DMLIS.zynet.co.uk (Ross Ellard) wrote: ...

>What I am wondering is whether there is anyway to configure the ODBC
>driver to only allow read access to the nominated data sources or even
>whether we can use some form of roles which can be set according to
>whether the user is accessing via ODBC or straight SQL or SQL*Net. I
>can't see how this latter option will work as my understanding is that
>ODBC uses SQL*Net anyway.

I'm an Oracle newbie, so I could be way off line.

Wouldn't a VIEW suitably restrict acccess?

In which case, wouldn't it make sense to provide ODBC access only to specific VIEWS? After all, the access restrictions are defined at login to Oracle, right?

  SV Singam
Minden, Penang

Truth, viewed from any angle, remains truth. Received on Fri Nov 03 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message