Re: Can NT be client and server?

From: Christian Pfundtner <Christian_Pfundtner_at_msn.com>
Date: 1995/10/22

bworljon_at_crl.com (Barbara Worthing-Jones) wrote:

>I installed the NT workgroups server and client packages on the same NT.
>The Database administrator starts up the datbase just fine, but I can't
>use SQL - seems to want some network connection. Also couldn't find SQL*DBA
>on the 90 day workgroups CD.

SQLDBA should be located in ?:\ORANW\BIN and is maybe called SQLDBA71 if it is Oracle 7.1.x.
The Database Administrator (GUI Version) must use a SQL*NET connection to the Database on the NT. This is because the Database is running under NT native. The Admin tool is a Windows 3.x application and is running in the Windows Emulation. For this the SQL*NET must be set up on Database (SERVER) site and on Application (CLIENT) site. Server and Client could be the same machine.

>Can you use sql*plus from the same pc (dual pentium, nt 3.5) as the server?
 yes
>If not, why did the database admin start up the db with no problem (just
>gave it the name of the pc & it worked)
because the installer possible creates the ALIAS for the Database you installed autmatiocaly
>I'm ABSOLUTELY new to client/server & confused.
Server is there the Database is running
Client is where the User-Tools and Applicationa are running THIS COULD BE THE SAME MACHINE
> I'd like to be able to use
>oracle workgroups server/sql on the NT for dba tasks, just like i use
>personal oracle/sql under win3.1. It would be nice to be able to use the
>server PC both a server and workstation (the RDB will not be heavily used
>for some time).

No problem..

>If necessary, I suppose I could get wfwg & an ethernet card &
>cable and run windows client from my 486? That would be one way of learning
>client server - sink or swim.

You do not need to do this!

First of all you must set up the Server-Site. *) Check if SQL*NET is installed for the Server (TCP or NamedPipes) *) Check if the Services for SQL*NET are installed (Control Pannel /

   Services)
*) Check if it is possible to connect with SQLDBA over a loopback.

   eg, over TCP
   SQLDBA> connect system/pwd_at_T:ServerName:SID

If this works fine, you can try it from the Client side.

>Thanks,
>Barbara

Regards
Chris Received on Sun Oct 22 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message