Re: Can NT be client and server?

From: Richard A. Woods <rawoods_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/10/22

In <46cd67$oog_at_crl13.crl.com> bworljon_at_crl.com (Barbara Worthing-Jones) writes:

>I installed the NT workgroups server and client packages on the same
 NT.
>The Database administrator starts up the datbase just fine, but I
 can't
>use SQL - seems to want some network connection. Also couldn't find
 SQL*DBA
>on the 90 day workgroups CD.
>
>Can you use sql*plus from the same pc (dual pentium, nt 3.5) as the
 server?
>If not, why did the database admin start up the db with no problem
 (just
>gave it the name of the pc & it worked)
>
>I'm ABSOLUTELY new to client/server & confused. I'd like to be able
 to use
>oracle workgroups server/sql on the NT for dba tasks, just like i use
>personal oracle/sql under win3.1. It would be nice to be able to use
 the
>server PC both a server and workstation (the RDB will not be heavily
 used
>for some time).
>
>If necessary, I suppose I could get wfwg & an ethernet card &
>cable and run windows client from my 486? That would be one way of
 learning
>client server - sink or swim.
>
>Thanks,
>Barbara

Barbara,

Yes, you can use your NT workstation as both the client and the server, however, you need to have installed at least SQL*Net V1 Named Pipes for both the client and server side. If you're not sure if you have or haven't installed both, load the CD-ROM, run the Oracle Installer, and the right panel will tell you what's installed.

Now assuming that you have both installed, that your computer name is BARBARA, and your Oracle database instance is running, you can connect to it via SQL*Plus by using a Host String (last box) of p:BARBARA:ORCL, where the 'p' is the protocol (named pipes), 'BARBARA' is the host name, and 'ORCL' is the Oracle database name (a.k.a., the SID).

Rich Woods
Oracle Worldwide Customer Support Received on Sun Oct 22 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message