Re: DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE

From: Richard A. Woods <rawoods_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/10/22

In <46b8dp$l4m_at_daily-planet.execpc.com> kskelton_at_earth.execpc.com (Kevin Skelton) writes:

>Hi, I am successfully using the PUT_Line statement in my sql*plus
 scripts
>to print out variables from stored procedures.
>
>However, I am having problems with arrays. Even if I hard code the
>index, the entire PUT_LINE statement is ignored. I am using 7.1.6.
 Has
>anyone made this work with arrays?
>
>Kevin Skelton
>MGIC
Kevin,

I would suspect one or more of the following could be your problem:

If you're using arrays then you've got embedded PL/SQL blocks within a Pro*C program and the PUT_LINE just doesn't know how to handle what you've passed as an argument. PL/SQL doesn't natively support array processing. If you're passing something like array[index] to PUT_LINE, I suggest you move array[index] to string and pass string to PUT_LINE.

When in SQL*Plus, you set serveroutput on so that you can see the results of DBMS_OUTPUT package. What are you doing in your Pro*C program to capture the output? Have you seen any PUT_LINE output from the program at all?

Rich Woods
Oracle Worldwide Customer Support Received on Sun Oct 22 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message