Re: Strange linker error

From: Tom Cooke <Tom_at_tomcooke.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/10/18

In article <45uhqs$ddt_at_inn> jburn_at_ctp.com "John Burns" writes:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone help identify the source of this strange linker error:
>
> ld: elf error: file /u01/home/dba/oracle/product/7.2.2/lib/libora.a:
> unable to locate archive symbol table: Format error: archive fmag
>
> Evidently the makefile is locating libora, but the error message suggests
> file corruption of some kind. Any suggestions as to how I could check the
> file's integrity?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

Have you tried "ar" on the file? I think ar -t will tell you what it thinks is in the file. The "file" command will also give you at least a stab at whether the machine thinks it recognises the file as a library. We sometimes get this sort of error if the ouncomp program has glitched on extracting a file on install (what media did you start with?) If this happens, we just manually ouncomp the file from the original install location (happens with CD-ROM distributions, for instance).

--
Tom Cooke